Dr Barry Monk
28 Franklyn Gardens,Biddenham, Bedford MK40 4QE
Tel: 01234 792262
Date of birth: 17 February 1951
Education: City of London School
Jesus College, Cambridge (college exhibitioner and prize-winner)
Westminster Hospital Medical School
Specialist training in Dermatology at the Royal Free and King’s College Hospitals, London
British Association of Dermatologists’ trainees’ travel scholarship
Winner of St John’s Hospital Registrar’s prize,1986
Winner of Samuel Zakon award of the American Association of the History of Dermatology, 2005
Best poster presentation, British Medical Laser Association, 2012
MB BChir (1975)
Specialist Register of the GMC number 2245867
Current NHS Appointment
Consultant dermatologist, Northampton General Hospital
- Consultant Dermatologist, Bedford Hospital NHS Trust, 1987 – 2012
– Clinical lead in Dermatology
– Level 9 clinical excellence award
– Chairman, Medical Staff Committee
– Research and Development Lead
– College of Physicians Tutor
- President, Section of Dermatology, Royal Society of Medicine (2008-2009)
- President, Dowling Club (2000-2001)
- Examiner for MRCP examination
- Visiting Professor, Cranfield University
- Member, British Association of Dermatologists
- International Member, American Academy of Dermatology
- Founder member and past Chairman, British Skin Laser Study Group
BMI Manor Hospital, Biddenham, Bedford
BMI Saxon Clinic, Milton Keynes
BMI Three Shires Hospital, Northampton
Visiting Consultant to Gibraltar
Publications and experience in Dermatology
Dr Monk has contributed to 5 textbooks, including writing the dermatology sections of the 14th and 15th editions of French’s Index of Differential Diagnosis.
Dr Monk is the author or co-author of over 60 papers in peer-reviewed medical publications, as listed in PubMed and Google-Scholar. A full list of publications can be provided on request.
Dr Monk has a broad interest in dermatology, including skin cancer and skin cancer prevention, acne, psoriasis and eczema. He is also an expert on Laser treatment of the skin.
Dr Monk has had numerous instructions in medicolegal cases in relation to dermatology, skin cancer, Laser treatment, reactions to drugs, psoriasis, eczema and contact dermatitis.
Dr Monk acted for the Medical Protection Society in the successful defence of a £5 million claim in the Hong Kong High Court. He also acted for the Claimant in the highest award ever made against a hairdresser, and for the Claimant in a successful high value ($3 million) claim in the United States.
Dr Monk is on the panel of expert witnesses of the General Medical Council.